Hot Potato Blogger Challenge Recipe: Potato and Bacon Bake topped with Parmesan Mash
Serves 6 to 8
A recipe for the true potato lover, equally as delicious as a vegetarian meal with the bacon omitted. This is a rich dish with a potato bake filling which is topped with a cheesy mash potato. It can be the star of the show, or served as a side dish at a buffet. Depending on the size of your potatoes, you may need more cream. Be sure to cook the potatoes on the stove top until they release some of their starch and thicken the cream, this results in a much creamier bake.
For the bake –
2 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, finely diced
125g bacon, finely chopped
250ml whipping cream
8 to 12 large potatoes, peeled and sliced (using a food processor or mandolin slicer)
Seasoning, to taste
For the topping –
6 to 8 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
50g parmesan cheese, finely grated
100g cheddar cheese, grated
60ml ground almonds
Seasoning, to taste
To make the filling:
- Heat a large pot and add oil. Cook the red onion over a medium heat until translucent. Add the bacon and cook until just starting to brown.
- Pour the cream into the pot and lower the temperature to simmer.
- Add the sliced potatoes to the cream mixture. Stir repeatedly until the cream starts to thicken. The potatoes should just be starting to get tender. Be careful not to overcook or break up the potatoes when you stir, you just want to prevent the mixture from catching at the bottom.
To make the topping:
- Put the potatoes into a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a rapid boil and cook until VERY tender.
- Turn off the heat and drain the potatoes. Return to the pot, put a lid on the potatoes and let them steam for a few mins to dry excess moisture (I put them back on the cooling stove plate).
- Mash them with the butter and add the parmesan.
To assemble and bake:
- Preheat oven to 180*c
- Pour the potato filling into a large ceramic lasagne dish.
- Carefully spread the parmesan mash over the top of the potato filling.
- Sprinkle ground almonds, then cheddar cheese, over the top of the bake.
- Place in oven and cook until the cheese is golden brown and potatoes are cooked through, about 40 mins. If the cheese is browning too fast, cover with tin foil.
(Recipe by Joanne Clegg, Personal Chef at The Food Crew)